Offset Stitch

Best Blog Tips
This is a very easy stitch I came up with by combining simple dc rows with a technique called "Offset", hope you like it! Multiple of 6 + 3 chs For a Block, ch 27 with worsted weight yarn and G hook, loosely.

Row 1- 1 dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 3, turn. (Counts as 1s dc of each row)

Row 2- 1 dc in each of first 4 dc, make Offset Cluster as follows: yo, insert hook around last dc made and pull up a loop, yo, insert hook around dc and pull up look, yo, insert hook around dc and pull up look, yo and pull yarn through all loops on hook, sl st to secure cluster, *1 dc in each of next 4 dc, make Offset Cluster, rep from * across. Ch 3, turn. Row 3- 1 dc in each dc and in top of each Offset Cluster. Ch 3, turn. For pattern, repeat rows 2 and 3 till you reach desired size.

Variation: You can change the pattern a bit by changing the placement of the Offset Clusters every 3rd row. This is a simple and fun pattern you can use for afghan blocks.



....................................................................

Read FREE online, the beautiful book on the life of Christ, The Desire of Ages see the comforting love of God like never before in these tough times!
Best Blog Tips

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, this is nice! Thanks for sharing - I'll have to try it soon!

Craftybegonia said...

You can use for an afghan block, or anything you like! Even that old favorite tote bag pattern you've made before would look very different if you use this stitch!

Sarah said...

I've seen that somewhere else called "popcorn". Looks great but after doing 4 on a little sampler I was "over it". Maybe when I'm not such a newbie I'll have more patience.

Craftybegonia said...

Hi Sarah, no, Offset Stitch is not the same as "Popcorn" even though they look similar in photos. I tell you that, because popcorn is a classic stitch, which I used when I was a kid, but offset stitch came to me while I was fidgeting with my hook. I do understand that if you're a newbie, things might get a bit laborious, but try to keep growing your craft. Try this and that and in no time, you will become so fast and so proficient that very few things will be hard to do or to try! I try to encourage testing around here to keep things fresh and interesting!

prajik said...

Hi, I've understood till the part where you draw the yo thru' all the loops on the hook. Where does one make the slipstitch?
Generally for all cluster st or popcorn st ,after completion of the st, one is asked to make a chain, so I am confused as to how do I make the slst.?where do I insert the needle to make the sl st?
Thanx for sharing :)

Craftybegonia said...

Hi prajik,I'm sorry that you are confused. I don't always do things in the classic manner. . .when you make the cluster, you sl st to secure the "bundle" as it were. You don't want a ch 1 there because you don't want holes in the solid fabric that we are going for in the block. So you yo and pull up the diffrerent loops to form the cluster and then sl st to secure the little "bundle" that forms, then you dc in the next stitches and repeat across.
Hope this helps!