Americana Beauty

Best Blog Tips



This one’s short and straight to the point but lacy enough at the edges to make you feel pretty as you go on your way. An easy scarflet that works up relatively fast and good for gift-giving and for charity projects!

Materials:
Red Heart worsted weight yarn Soft Navy
Red Heart worsted weight yarn Cherry Red
Crochet hook size H
Scissors
Blunt needle (to weave in tails)

With Soft Navy, ch 45.
Row 1- 1 hdc in third ch from hook and in each ch across. (43 hdc) Ch 2, turn.
Row 2- 1 hdc in each hdc across. Ch 2, turn. (43 hdc)
Rows 3 to 15- Rep row 2. Ch 2, turn. (43 hdc)
Row 16- 1 hdc in each hdc across. (43 hdc) Ch 2, turn (counts as first hdc of next row).
Row 17 (Working on narrow edge of scarflet)- Make 20 hdc across narrow edge of scarflet. Ch 2, turn. (21 hdc)
Rows 18 to 23- 1 hdc in each hdc across. (21 hdc) Ch 2, turn.
Row 24- 1 hdc in each hdc across. Fasten off Soft Navy and weave in tail.
Row 25- Join Cherry Red. Work 1 hdc in each hdc across. (21 hdc) Ch 2, turn.
Rows 26 to 27- 1 hdc in each hdc across. (21 hdc) Ch 2, turn.
Row 28- 1 hdc in each hdc across. (21 hdc) Ch 4, turn.
Row 29- 1 tr in each of next 4 hdc, ch 11, skip 11 hdc, 1 tr in each of last 5 hdc. (Keyhole made) Ch 3, turn.
Row 30- 1 dc in each tr and in each ch across. Ch 3, turn.
Lace Edge-
Row 31- 1 dc in next dc, skip 2 dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, skip 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, skip 2 dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, skip 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, skip 2 dc, 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. Ch 3, turn.
Row 32- 1 dc in next dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in second dc of shell, 1 dc in each of next 2 dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in second dc of shell, 1 dc in each of next 2 dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in second dc of shell, 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. Ch 3, turn.
Rows 33 to 36- Rep row 31. Fasten off Cherry Red, weave in tail.
Join Soft Navy to opposite side of Scarflet.
Row 37- Ch 2, work 20 hdc across narrow edge of scarflet. (21 hdc) Ch 2, turn.
Rows 38 to 43- 1 hdc in each hdc across. (21 hdc) Ch 2, turn.
Row 44- 1 hdc in each hdc across. Fasten off Soft Navy, weave in tail. (21 hdc)
Row 45- Join Cherry Red. Make 1 hdc in each hdc across. (21 hdc) Ch 2, turn.
Row 46- 1 hdc in each hdc across. (21 hdc) Ch 2, turn.
Rows 47 to 50- 1 hdc in each hdc across. (21 hdc) Ch 3, turn.
Row 51- 1 dc in each hdc across. (21 dc) Ch 3, turn.
Lace Edge-
Row 52- 1 dc in next dc, skip 2 dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, skip 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, skip 2 dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, skip 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in next dc, skip 2 dc, 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. Ch 3, turn.
Row 53- 1 dc in next dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in second dc of shell, 1 dc in each of next 2 dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in second dc of shell, 1 dc in each of next 2 dc, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in second dc of shell, 1 dc in each of last 2 dc. Ch 3, turn.
Rows 54 to 56- Rep row 31. Fasten off Cherry Red, weave in tail.
Done!
Pattern has been corrected.

.............
Heaven Is It For Real?
Best Blog Tips

16 comments:

Sondra said...

OH this is SOOO PRETTY!!!! I am forseeing Christmas presents... :)

Craftybegonia said...

Thank you, praise the Lord! Hope you make some people happy with it!

The Bookworm said...

That is so pretty. Thanks for the pattern.

Craftybegonia said...

You're very welcome, naida, another one is coming that is the "opposite" colors and is a buttoned up one. Stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

It's such fun to play with color combinations and to make new "versions" of the same item. I like to do the same with my crocheted charity afghans!

I like your blog so much, I've nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award!

Linda

Craftybegonia said...

Thank you, Linda for your sweet comment! I'm much honored and give God the praise.

Miss Kitty said...

I'm just crocheting this one up...and I'm a little confused on how to do row 30...1 dc in next dc...huh?row 29 was tr in each hdc?
Please help...Thanks

Miss Kitty said...

I'm just crocheting Americana Beauty up...and I'm a little confused on how to do row 30...1 dc in next dc...huh?row 29 was tr in each hdc?
Please help...Thanks

Craftybegonia said...

Hi Miss Kitty. It was a typist mistake. It has been corrected. I did not know about it until I got your message because other crocheters had made the scarflet and even showed me their pics and they didn't say a word about the error. I guess they just figured out what to do. Thank you for your eagle eyes!

Meme said...

Hi, I love your work and appreciate your sharing with us. I'm trying to make this "Americana Beauty," but even though you say it's corrected, I still think it must be wrong? Row 31 must still be wrong as it says to "dc in next tr, etc, but if you do Row 30 as stated there is NO tr to crochet into? And then later it says to keep repeating row 31, and I can't figure out how to do that as it is written. Thank you for any help. ;-)

Craftybegonia said...

Pattern has been revised, Meme. Thank you for your eagle eyes.

lannie_rae said...

Wonderful pattern. Thank!

Craftybegonia said...

Hi Beginner, you picked a tough pattern for a beginner! You're courageous and I salute you.
If you have reached row 31, you can make this pretty accessory, so let's work on your problem. I cannot tell you the count of sts per row when we start the shell lace, row 31 onward is the beginning of the shell lace.
If you carefully follow the pattern as it reads, it will give you rows of shells. The 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc in one dc stitch forms the simple
shell lace that makes this scarflet so lovely. Now, where do you make the 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc all along row 32 and all following rows? You make them in the second dc of each shell, as written. In other words, you make each new shell in the top of the center dc of the shell in the previous row.
I hope this helps and that your Americana Beauty turns out lovely!

Unknown said...

Hello. Right now I'm very confused w/ row 17. What do you mean by working along the narrow edge? Sorry if I'm being stupid but I really don't understand it. Thanks for the help!

Craftybegonia said...

Hi Sabrina Lopez! Of course you're not stupid! When you start the scarflet, you make almost the width of it (because of that it works up really fast, aside from the fact that the turn in the direction of the fabric adds interest to the design,) and you work like that for a number of rows. Then, you turn around (the direction of your stitches)and work the narrow edge of that width, to create the keyhole and the foundation for the pretty lace edges. Hope this clarified it for you!

Unknown said...

I just LOVE your patterns. I have 99% of them and I'll bet I've made 80% of them. I'm now working on my Christmas gifts and have run off several patterns I didn't have. I'm 76 yrs. old and taught myself to crochet when I was 8. I would crochet all day if I could, but I've had 13 surgeries on my hands so I crochet for a while, stop, and start again. Your patters are all so lovely and the instructions very easy to read. Thank you so very much for sharing your patterns with us.